Sunday, April 23, 2006

In Conversation by Sally Taylor


I visited the Otter Gallery in Chichester yesterday and saw the exhibition In Conversation by Sally Taylor. The paintings were rather uninspiring (like the title of the show!) but this little drawing of a spooky head caught my attention. It may seem as if I am developing an obsession for decapitated heads but it is the eyelessness of this head that I really like. Eyes were a great uncanny theme for the surrealists but removing or omitting any eyes at all is really uncanny! Thinking about this has reminded me of the work of Matt Bryans who erases images from newspaper. He erases all of the face except the eyes. I myself have created disquieting and uncanny work where I have crossed out the eyes as part of the denial/destruction theme that I often employ. The results can be really uncanny I will publish some examples in the next posting.

1 Comments:

Blogger aagot said...

back from delicious copenhagen, where there was an exhibition at the Danish Design Centre called Honey I'm Home!

It dicuss the term homeliness in relation to contemporary design... see if you find it ok.

http://www.ddc.dk/presse/DDC/honey_pm2

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home