Tuesday, May 16, 2006

More Matt Bryans





I'm having a bit of trouble uploading tonight but I think these three images represent a good cross section of Matt Bryans recent work. He is represented by Kate McGarry and I have taken these images from the McGarry website (worth a look if you have time). As you will see one of these works is made from carved wood and not the usual erased newspaper, yet still displays the curious face-like quality of Bryans other works. I believe this work is making a vaguely political/religous point as the 'faces' are turned from the trunks of discarded Christmas trees. The wall hung arrangement reminds me of Annette Messager's work mentioned earlier in this blog.

Anyhow, carved wood or erased newspaper I find all of these works to be rather uncanny. What do you think dear reader?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Maria: Yes, most uncanny. Matt Bryan's work produces strange reactions in the viewer...one feels very unsettled...and by using multiples and faces looking at the viewer - somehow it is an intimidating experience.

7:26 AM  
Blogger maria edney said...

I just find them a bit spooky, ghost-like maybe.
Mx

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home